The holiday season is a wonderful time for us to gather with our loved ones…including our pets! Keep in mind that many of the things that we enjoy in our holidays can be harmful to our furry friends. Take a few precautions to keep you pets safe and your holidays happy.
Holiday plants can be very irritating or poisonous if chewed or ingested so please keep them out of reach of your pets. You can check the ASPCA website for a complete list of toxic plants.
Electrical cords and decorations are tempting for our pets to chew on but pose serious dangers to them. Be especially aware of tinsel, string and ribbons around your cats. They can’t resist them but if ingested, can have disastrous consequences.
Pets, especially cats, often can’t resist potpourri or candles which can be hazardous if they ingest them or can be a fire hazard if the knock them over.
Some of our favorite holiday foods can be toxic or harmful to our pets. These include: alcoholic beverages, coffee (beans and grounds), onions, raisins, fatty foods, yeast dough, and chocolate.
Avoid giving lots of special treats in one day as these can result in digestive upset or even pancreatitis.
Happy Holidays from all of us at the Guilford Veterinary Hospital!