The Guilford Veterinary Hospital was founded in August 1953 in a small home on Norton Avenue Guilford, CT by Dr. Willard Daniels. Dr. Daniels grew up on a dairy farm in Middletown, CT. He treated mainly large farm animals, as well as the occasional small animal seen in his garage. In 1955 he built a hospital on our current site on Saw Mill Road. He continued to treat both farm animals and small animals until 1965, when he moved to the University of Connecticut in Storrs to accept a position as Extension Veterinarian and Professor of Pathology.
Dr. David Anderson joined the hospital in 1962 and became an owner in 1965. Dr. Ralph Schoemann joined the practice in 1965but left shortly thereafter to serve a tour of duty with the Veterinary Corps of the United States Army. He returned to practice veterinary medicine in Guilford and became a partner in the practice in 1969. The hospital was enlarged and remodeled in 1973 (see photo above), at which time it became primarily a small animal hospital. GVH purchased the Branford Animal Hospital from Dr. Philip Gerlach in 1976 and it served as a GVH satellite until 1990. This satellite practice was then sold to Dr. Robert Schaper, who had been working at GVH as an associate veterinarian at the time.
Over the years, the practice continued to grow and thrive thanks to the hard work and dedication of the veterinarians and support staff. Currently there are 8 veterinarians at GVH. Dr. Donald Mullen joined the practice in 1979 and became partner in 1984. Dr. Deborah Ackles started in 1987 and a partner in 1989. Dr. Anthony DellaMonica and Dr. Anita Soucy joined the practice in 1994. Dr. Morna Pixton started in 1998. In 2007 Dr. Ralph Schoemann retired from GVH and Drs. DellaMonica, Soucy and Pixton became partners. Dr. Kirsten Nordt joined GVH in 2006. Dr. Christina DeAngelo started in 2014 and Dr. Katelyn McGovern joined GVH in 2017.
Our current GVH doctors are a diverse group of individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds who have been trained all over North America. They work together in the true spirit of a group practice, sharing their knowledge and skills to the benefit of each and every patient.
Dr. Donald Mullen, University of Pennsylvania (1979)
Dr. Deborah Ackles, Tufts University (1987)
Dr. Anita Soucy, Kansas State University (1992)
Dr. Anthony DellaMonica, Tufts University (1993)
Dr. Morna Pixton, Cornell University (1998)
Dr. Kirsten Nordt, Oregon State University (2006)
Dr. Christina DeAngelo, Tufts University (2014)
Dr. Katelyn McGovern, Ohio State University (2017)
It has always been the goal at GVH to provide the highest quality of medicine and care possible to our patients. In the early 1990s we worked to achieve accreditation from the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). This organization sets standards for companion animal practices that are above and beyond state and federal standards. They evaluate the physical plant, operation of the practice, procedures offered, level and quality of the care provided and continuing education of the doctors and staff of the hospital. In 1993 we qualified for the highest level of accreditation and have maintained that level ever since.
As GVH continued to grow and expand we realized a need for more space – both for equipment and for the skilled staff needed to deliver high quality medicine. In 2005 the hospital was completely redesigned including the construction of two large additions and the addition of digital radiography. Our hospital was complete in 2006.