We are all looking forward to spring and celebrating Easter with family, friends and our pets. For a safe celebration, here are some Easter related items that can be very dangerous for your pet’s health.
Did you know that this very popular flower at Easter time is extremely toxic to cats? All parts of the plant are toxic. Even minor exposure such as your cat biting a leaf or getting pollen on whiskers or hair coat can cause illness. The first symptoms of lily toxicity are vomiting, depression, inappetance and dehydration. The toxicity affects the kidneys and can be fatal if not treated quickly.
Cats are attracted to shiny material and they enjoy playing with string. Yarn, thread, dental floss, tinsel, elastic/hair band, ribbon and Easter grass are unfortunately common foreign objects swallowed by cats. The string can get caught under your cat’s tongue and can cause an intestinal obstruction requiring abdominal surgery. Symptoms include vomiting, gagging, depression, inappetance and painful abdomen. Be very careful not to leave Easter baskets in a place where your cat can get to it.
Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine which can be toxic. The amount and type of chocolate ingested is important because different kinds of chocolate have different concentrations of theobromine in them. This is the determining factor for the severity of the toxicity. Signs include vomiting, diarrhea, hyper-excitability, and restlessness and can progress to muscle tremors, weakness, seizures and coma. The three types of chocolate to be aware of are:
- Milk chocolate –Severe signs of toxicity can occur when as little as one pound of milk chocolate is ingested by a 20-pound dog.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate – Severe signs of toxicity can occur when as little as 6.5 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate is ingested by a 20-pound dog.
- Baking chocolate – Severe signs of toxicity can occur when as little 2.5 ounces of baking chocolate is ingested by a 20-pound dog.